"Ballet is an art of torture" Me, 2007.
I know that these words sounded like I am jealous about people who can do ballet but no, I am not jealous. Ballet, is really an art of torture!
Look at those Ballerina, they have to be skinny and maintain a certain weight. Have you watch "Center Stage" before? Have you seen how those girls trying to maintain their weight just so that they can be a ballerina? It is sad and torturing!! Some of them even need to go through a recovery process after they quit dancing in order to get their period back and get pregnant. Isn't that a torture?
Being able to stand on the tip of your toes. That, is a torture too! I remember seeing people wearing that point shoes and got bloody toes and it was just...torturing!! Yuck!!!
I know that these words sounded like I am jealous about people who can do ballet but no, I am not jealous. Ballet, is really an art of torture!
Look at those Ballerina, they have to be skinny and maintain a certain weight. Have you watch "Center Stage" before? Have you seen how those girls trying to maintain their weight just so that they can be a ballerina? It is sad and torturing!! Some of them even need to go through a recovery process after they quit dancing in order to get their period back and get pregnant. Isn't that a torture?
Being able to stand on the tip of your toes. That, is a torture too! I remember seeing people wearing that point shoes and got bloody toes and it was just...torturing!! Yuck!!!
Weight discrimination. I know most people don't know much about ballet. They always thought that only skinny people can do ballet. That, is not true. Is true that only skinny people can be a professional ballerina but not only skinny people can do ballet. People who are not so skinny can do ballet as well. It is about how you dance it, it is not about the weight. I have seen chubby people who can dance better than those skinny people especially when they are doing the jumps and spin. But to be a professional ballerina, you have to be skinny. Otherwise, the male ballerina who carries you will need an appointment with the doctor or chiropractor.
One of the few good memories I had with ballet was "Romeo and Juliet". I remembered me, CL and K went for this show when they had it in Ames. At first, I thought it was a play like Mama Mia! After we got into the theater and started reading the guide, we found out that it was a ballet Romeo and Juliet!! Good...half way through the show, K fell asleep (luckily he didn't snore). Hahaha..that was one of the fun memory!
Well, afterall, ballet is not such a bad thing. It is actually a very good exercise, as long as you don't dream to be a ballerina.
2 comments:
Having a knowledge in ballet is a great thing, at least to my opinion. I wish I could do ballet, the graceful one :p
Cuz u learn how to be comfortable with your body.. but to some extent, the stereotype of "you have to be SKINNY to be a ballerina" is too much!!!
Why all the skinny ones have all the privileges? Heeeelllloooo!!! What about the normal homosapiens?
That's so sad of the world we are living in :(
Emm..I disagree with the comfortable with your body part. Most ballet people are more self-conscious than others, I think. The stereotype thing have made most people felt like they should be skinny if they do ballet. I think it actually make it worse. Just my opinion though. =)
Post a Comment