Made a huge decision at work today. Threw away 10,000 dollars worth of product. In fact, made this same decision last Thursday by recalling back product that we shipped out, that was another 10,000 bucks. The decision today was the hardest one. GM and CJ both did not want to give suggestion and let me make the call since they both know I can overwrite their decision (URGH!!). I was put on the spot. It was a hard call. It was a freshly made out of the oven product. That was nothing wrong with it except it did not meet our quality standard. That dough was water down.
CJ came to me right away after I stepped into the office and told me that the cookies are too flat. I was even jokingly teasing him, "How many times do I have to tell you not to piss AJ off?" When I walked out to the plant with him, I was shocked. 80% of the products were being kicked off by the weigh detector for being overweight. That does not happen very often with this product. Everyone was busy trying to fix the products, some of the kicked out products were stacked way too high and some people dropped them all over the floor..it was a disaster! I can't imagine how much cookies we had fed to the bottom of our shoes today!
I walked to the production floor, looked at the cookies and checked the temperature of the cookies, it was fine except it tasted like flour and it spread too much and too flat! I went ahead and talked to MM and JS to try to figure out how was the dough before they went into the oven. It was too wet! GREAT! Another AJ's trick. With the flatter cookie, the workers can't do the usual visual estimation when they were filling up the cookies and that's why they were all overweight and being rejected! 7 pallets! Messing with 7 pallets worth of product which supposed to go out in less than an hour! 6 hours worth of production!
I waited till the production was over and looked at the yield and decided to not send the product. With feeding almost 400 lbs. on the floor, how could the yield be higher than our average yield? Does that make sense to you?
It was my first time ever, doing this kind of call. Having to make that kind of decision in 15 minutes, it was scary! Adrenaline rush? No. I was petrified, actually.
GM and CJ went to ask AJ whether he used the wrong shortening and all sort of questions without even accusing him or whatsoever. I went back to ask AJ to fix the recipe book with the new recipes I printed him a month ago and he gave me the excuses saying that he doesn't have time and the oven was running too fast and he doesn't want to do OT because GM wouldn't like it. Hmm..you can do 24 mixes in a PD day, but doing 10 mixes in a Cookie day is too fast for you to catch up? Are you serious about that? Are you really sticking to that excuses of yours? C'mon, give me a break! Your initial should be written the other way round, JA.
Managing all these people are like baby-sitting. CJ and I were joking about whether it is our mistake that we didn't see Baby-sitting in our job description? Or it wasn't even written there.
After knowing that I am throwing all those products away, AJ got mad (I think). No one ever done anything whenever he played with the formula and now, there is someone who is doing something about it. He doesn't like it when he doesn't have the power to play the God role.
Finally, AJ called after he got home to look for MM. The news is, AJ is doing his All-In bet again -- Resignation. This is the 3rd time he is doing it. His reason? He can't work with CJ (very mature for a 44 years old guy). He knows it well enough that RV and LV (the witch) love him and they would do anything to make him stay (at least for the past two times).
Well, I am waiting to see what's going to happen next. If RV and LV really make him stay in an unreasonable way (they make him the supervisor last time) or whatsoever, GM and CJ would quit. As for me, I will follow their footsteps as soon as my visa is valid.
I know, it is a very very FUBAR company but, I really learned and grew up a lot from working here. It is a very expedited maturity pill and I am glad I am taking them. Hahaha..
CJ came to me right away after I stepped into the office and told me that the cookies are too flat. I was even jokingly teasing him, "How many times do I have to tell you not to piss AJ off?" When I walked out to the plant with him, I was shocked. 80% of the products were being kicked off by the weigh detector for being overweight. That does not happen very often with this product. Everyone was busy trying to fix the products, some of the kicked out products were stacked way too high and some people dropped them all over the floor..it was a disaster! I can't imagine how much cookies we had fed to the bottom of our shoes today!
I walked to the production floor, looked at the cookies and checked the temperature of the cookies, it was fine except it tasted like flour and it spread too much and too flat! I went ahead and talked to MM and JS to try to figure out how was the dough before they went into the oven. It was too wet! GREAT! Another AJ's trick. With the flatter cookie, the workers can't do the usual visual estimation when they were filling up the cookies and that's why they were all overweight and being rejected! 7 pallets! Messing with 7 pallets worth of product which supposed to go out in less than an hour! 6 hours worth of production!
I waited till the production was over and looked at the yield and decided to not send the product. With feeding almost 400 lbs. on the floor, how could the yield be higher than our average yield? Does that make sense to you?
It was my first time ever, doing this kind of call. Having to make that kind of decision in 15 minutes, it was scary! Adrenaline rush? No. I was petrified, actually.
GM and CJ went to ask AJ whether he used the wrong shortening and all sort of questions without even accusing him or whatsoever. I went back to ask AJ to fix the recipe book with the new recipes I printed him a month ago and he gave me the excuses saying that he doesn't have time and the oven was running too fast and he doesn't want to do OT because GM wouldn't like it. Hmm..you can do 24 mixes in a PD day, but doing 10 mixes in a Cookie day is too fast for you to catch up? Are you serious about that? Are you really sticking to that excuses of yours? C'mon, give me a break! Your initial should be written the other way round, JA.
Managing all these people are like baby-sitting. CJ and I were joking about whether it is our mistake that we didn't see Baby-sitting in our job description? Or it wasn't even written there.
After knowing that I am throwing all those products away, AJ got mad (I think). No one ever done anything whenever he played with the formula and now, there is someone who is doing something about it. He doesn't like it when he doesn't have the power to play the God role.
Finally, AJ called after he got home to look for MM. The news is, AJ is doing his All-In bet again -- Resignation. This is the 3rd time he is doing it. His reason? He can't work with CJ (very mature for a 44 years old guy). He knows it well enough that RV and LV (the witch) love him and they would do anything to make him stay (at least for the past two times).
Well, I am waiting to see what's going to happen next. If RV and LV really make him stay in an unreasonable way (they make him the supervisor last time) or whatsoever, GM and CJ would quit. As for me, I will follow their footsteps as soon as my visa is valid.
I know, it is a very very FUBAR company but, I really learned and grew up a lot from working here. It is a very expedited maturity pill and I am glad I am taking them. Hahaha..
2 comments:
wow... that's a huge responsibility!!! But, I'm glad that u have grown so much from this learning experience. It is a good thing :) Now, with all the knowledge you have, you can just go anywhere ...
Jacey: Hehe..I hope I can go somewhere soon. ;)
Post a Comment